Tip : Playing Media to Your Windows 8 from another DLNA ServerPosted: December 3, 2012
This post will give an Overview of what’s involved to Play media from a DLNA server on your network to your Windows 8 Desktop / a DLNA Media Render.
This scenario will arise when you want to control a HTPC without going to the Desktop on the PC to interact with the Media Player. You can use a DLNA DMC to interact with Windows Media Player or a DMR to playback media from your HTPC.
Refer my earlier post on DLNA in case the terminology like DLNA, DMC, DMR, DMP etc. are new to you.
Windows Media Player available on Windows 8 / 7 can act as a DMP, a DMS and a DMR. The purpose of DMP and DMR are the same – a player to play the media content. On DMP, you go and select the media that is played. But on DMR, you can remotely sent media to DMR for playing. For e.g.: Using DMC, you can route the content from a DLNA server to DMR.
I am assuming you have your Desktop , Smartphone, TV or Blu-ray player connected to your home network and a DLNA server already running
Refer this Post to Enable DLNA Server on your Windows 8
- Enable DMR Profile on Windows Media Player
- Start Windows Media Player
- On “Stream” menu, select “Allow remote control of my player”
- A Dialog box will open asking you to select whether to allow or not.
- Select “Allow Remote Control on this Network”
- Leave Windows Media Player Open. This is required.
- Now you can use the following to control playback from a smart phone or PC
- Windows 8 / 7 PC
- iPod/iPhone/iPad/Windows/MacOS X/Linux / PocketPC.
- Download / Install Linn’s Kinsky on your Device / PC
- Refer the detailed manual for playing around with Kinsky
- The below steps are assuming Kinsky is installed on iOS Device. Steps are pretty same for other versions also.
- Fire up Kinsky
- Selecting your Media from the DLNA Server
- Under “Home” area Click on “Library”
- You will see the currently available Media Servers listed here
- Select your Media Server and Navigate to the folder containing the media files to be played
- Select the target of Playback. Kinsky refers this as “Rooms”
- Click on “Rooms” button. You will find this on the Right hand column below the playback controls
- This will list the DMR available. Select your preferred DMR
- From the Library section, tap on the track / file you want to play
- You will see the track appearing on the Right hand column(Playlist area)
- Tap on the track in the Playlist area. The track will begin playing on your DMR.
I haven’t explained Kinsky in detailed as there are other solutions around and the manual is pretty exhaustive. Also the steps captured can be used to Play any media – Music, Videos and Pictures.
Note : The playback depends on the Media Formats supported by your DMR.
Post back your DMR alternatives , issues and Feedback.
See Also : All Articles on DLNA
- In Depth: Streaming media in Windows 8: what you need to know (techradar.com)